PayPal offers lower credit card processing rates for Non-profits through the PayPal Giving Fund. Regular processing rates are 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction. Non-profit rates are 2.2% plus 30 cents per transaction. That means for every $1,000 in donations that you receive through PayPal you can save $7 in fees with the non-profit rate.
To get the lower rates you must have a 501c3. You will need a bank statement or a voided check of the bank or banks on file and your organizations EIN number. Start the approval process by going to www.paypal.com/charities and clicking confirm account. Once you enter your EIN number and upload the bank statement (must be within last 6 months) or voided check your account will go into review.
It usually takes 3–7 business days to review the rate change for charities.
To see the current processing rates for your account visit the Merchant fees page from link in PayPal footer while logged into your account.
You may also need to provide stakeholder verification information:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click Contact at the bottom of the page.
- Choose Business solutions.
- Select PayPal payment solutions.
- Click Beneficial Owner Declaration Form.
- Read through the FAQ section for additional information.
- Click Email Us to access the webform.
- Enter the required information into the fields provided.
- Click Send Email.
If you have any issues with starting the confirmation process, you can call 1-888-221-1161 and speak with PayPal’s limitations team to help get your account verified.
Visit www.paypal.com/givingfund for more information.